Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Kids' Artist Rhyme



Seurat painted dots.
I mean lots!

Jackson Pollack split-splat.
Look at that!

Georgia O’Keeffe with flowers
And land without rain showers.

Monet loved lakes.
He painted as the day wakes.

Salvador Dali drew his dreams.
Things I have never seen.

Picasso painted in blue
And odd people too.

Chuck Close painted faces
Not places.

Van Gogh painted Starry Night
And in colors bright

--------------------------------------

The children LOVED this game. (I made it up the night before camp for a large motor activity. If you have any other rhymes for me, email me please!)

I printed color photos of each of the artists' work, then put them in clear folders. I put the pictures all in the grass and then read each rhyme one at a time. The children were lined up on the sidewalk then ran to the painting they thought was correct. I told them who was right, why, and then a little about the artist.

On the second day, we reviewed the paintings with names and how to use memory tools to remember the pictures. Simple: "Seurat and dots rhyme." "Dail had clocks melting, so I picture melting baby dolls." "Chuck Close painted faces up close." "I know a kid named Jackson. He is crazy. I can imagine him splashing paint everywhere." They line up on the sidewalk again with the photos in the grass. They get a sticker for each one they get right, if they get 4 right they get a prize (Twizzler).

On the third day, we reviewed again. I don't read the rhyme, just the artist name. They must get 6 right to get a prize. (We used the review time to discuss helping the other students so they can all get them right! This is not cheating. You are discussing the answer and working together.)

On the fourth day, I put out new paintings by the same artists. These paintings the students had never seen before! They had to get 5 right to get a prize. (They could get them all correct because they had learned them so well.)


If we held up just the painting they could immediately say the artists name. It was amazing. This was such a great way to get the kids excited about famous artists. We will be using it again!



Here are the photos that I used. I put 1-3 on a sheet. I printed a second sheet for the final day.

Seurat painted dots.
HERE, HERE, HERE, and HERE.

Jackson Pollack split-splat.
Look at that!
HERE and HERE

Georgia O’Keeffe with flowers
And land without rain showers.
HERE, HERE, and HERE.

Monet loved lakes.
He painted as the day wakes.
HERE, HERE and HERE

Salvador Dali drew his dreams.
Things I have never seen.
HERE and HERE

Picasso painted in blue
And odd people too.
HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE

Chuck Close painted faces
Not places.
HERE, HERE, HERE, and HERE.

Van Gogh painted Starry Night
And in colors bright
HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment